Friday, December 7, 2018

Coloring Commission - Bokuman - Darkwarrior - Ultra Magnus and Sparkle


Here we have a new commission from a new commissioner.  Although the lineart isn’t exactly anything new for me given how I have colored dozens of linearts drawn by Bokuman.

Original Lineart: Commission Ultra Magnus and Sparkle

When DarkWarrior approached me with this commission, I knew that I had my work cut out for me with this.  It is a rare occasion for me to color robots but it is something that I’ve done before, such as with my MP3 Player Transformers that Bokuman had also designed (Pitch and Wave). By comparison to those two, this one was a lot simpler because of how the “Generation 1″ Transformers had a far blockier design to them.  As you can see with how their limbs and bodies have blocks, squares and rectangles for their limbs and bodies.

So, to begin the coloring I just made a few layers, a base color, first shading and second shading, and then I went through and locked all those three layers and made the color modifications to them.  Such as using Ultra Magnus’ colors of red, white and blue.  Initially, I used the color scheme of Ultra Magnus from the first Transformers movie (1986).  But as it turns out, I was using the wrong pallet which cased a few problems that I needed to go back and fix.  But thankfully it wasn’t too much of a headache as I had imagined.

As for the second character, Sparkle, she is what’s called a “Pretender”.  In the Transformers Universe, disguise is a big component.  However, instead of disguising themselves as machinery, such as trucks, cars, planes or anything like that, Pretenders, disguise themselves as organic beings, such as animals or even people.  And that’s the case with “Sparkle” here, an Autobot disguised as a human.  Although, I hadn’t been able to find any record of her in any of the wikis so I imagine that she’s a fan character.  But from a coloring standpoint, she was by far the easiest to do.  Just skin, clothes and hair.  Not a lot of blocks to think about. 
 
© Ultra Magnus - Transformers - Hasbro
© Pretenders - Transformers - Hasbro

No comments: