Sunday, December 9, 2018

CallMePo - Zircon


A while back, I think it was roughly 2015 or so, when Steven Universe was starting to take off when so many artists were doing “Gemsonas” where they designed characters around their favorite gems or birthstones.  And @callmepo mentioned how he researched his birthstone and Zircon came up.  His reaction was that “Zircon” sounded a little like a strippers name and thus the reason for the design of the clothes.  He did have it posted at his Tumblr before the purge but I did manage to find a copy of it and this is what she looked like. 



When commissions opened up again, I leapt at the chance to have him refine and do a fully inked piece of it. 

Here’s the original:



Once it was done, I absolutely adored what I was seeing of it but before I started upon it, I asked him if there was a certain color scheme he wanted to do for it.  And he sent me a picture with zircon gems as well as a flat color scheme for it all.  So working from that I worked on coloring it.  As for the background, I knew that Zircon was definitely an exotic dancer and so I wanted to give her a stage and a pole so she could work it.  Once it was done, I could already picture what she would say to her big tippers:  “Hey baby, wanna fuse with me?”

My thanks to CallMePo for this commission and allowing me to color Zircon.

Note:  All character(s) depicted here are 18 years of age or older

Note:  Zircon Gemsona belongs to CallMePo

No comments: