Thursday, December 17, 2020

JulyViolet - High Elf Monk


 

A while ago, after doing the Try Guys Dungeons and Dragons art pieces with JulyViolet, I decided that I wanted to do another Dungeons and Dragons character. So, I asked JulyViolet to draw up a High Elf Monk character.

This character is something I'm doing for whatever DnD campaign I get into. The story behind this character is that you have an elf who was born into elf society but didn't want to assimilate into it. He saw Elf society as elitist and pompous. And so, he started to act "not like an elf" and this caused him to be sent to live in a monastery. While living at this monastery, he learned the ways of martial arts, the Way of the Open Palm, but living among the monks he started to indulge in some of very "non-elvish vices", namely heavy drinking and chasing sex. The breaking point of which is when he was caught in bed with the mayor of a local town along with his wife. And so he was expelled from the order and even though he was asked to return home to his family, he defied this and decided to "wander the earth", move from place to place, help people, get into adventures, sample booze and the women. And so this High Elf Monk I created is a mixture of Tyrion Lannister and Iron Fist; he drinks and knows Kung Fu.

When JulyViolet finished this piece, I knew that I had my work cut out for me, and I rose to the challenge of coloring this one. Coloring the face and such, I did wonder if I was doing right as far as the skin tones and the color of the lips. When I got to the robes, I wanted to go with my go-to colors of black, white, and green. But then came the background. At first, I was thinking of doing it in a similar town with what I did with the Try Guys DnD but to be a little more fitting for the character, I decided to have it done in a dojo type of setting.

Something else I wanted to do for the background is that I wanted an art piece in the background in calligraphy, much like what is done in most dojos.  However, since he is a high elf, I wanted there to be something more Elvish. I wanted to have the phrase, "you are already dead" written in Elvish script in there, but I couldn't get that done. So, I went searching for something else. And that's when I came across Vanyanie and this vector piece they did: https://www.deviantart.com/vanyanie/art/One-Ring-Inscription-Circle-Vector-706496705


So I used that and put it into the background.


Head on over to YouTube to see the video progress of it. 


thank you, JulyViolet, for the work that you did with this.


If you enjoyed this piece, please consider commissioning me to color a line art or become a patron at my patreon.

No comments: