Sunday, December 9, 2018

IGFalcon - Major Motoko Kusanagi


Like many of the fine works that are produced by IGfalcon, this one was no exception; Major Motoko Kusanagi of “Ghost in the Shell” and the various spin-offs and films following it.

Here’s the original:  Motoko Kusanagi Lineart

When it was posted, an open invitation to color it was made and it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.  Coloring the major in the skin suit from the newest film was easy.  As for the colors I used, I wanted to make a nod to one of my favorite versions of the major and that is from the series: Stand Alone Complex.  Thus the reason for the color of the hair and the eyes.  However, the bigger challenge came in the background and I wanted that to look like the cyberspace that is featured in the show.

Gathering as many reference images as I could I tried to make my own background as part of it.  If you’re wondering what that text in the background is, that’s part of a very clever technique I picked up on where I would essentially move an image file from where it sits and into “notepad” and what happens is the computer spits out this long, long, looooong string of code.  And ironically enough, the code I used was from the original image that IGFalcon had made here.

As for the “Dive circles” that are in the background, those I picked up from here:  http://aeroni.com/gits/renders/motif/index.htm

I hope that I’ve given the art piece its proper justice in coloring it.

My thanks to IGFalcon for the line art.

© Motoko Kusinagi - Ghost in the Shell - Masamune Shirow

No comments: